You can take the girl out of the country that provides the bar food, but you can’t take the bar-food-loving out of the girl. In my continuing efforts to recreate all the crappy things I like to eat, here are my Frenchified “baked potato skins.”
- “Bake” potatoes in the microwave by poking all over with a fork then nuking them for a few minutes (until tender).
- Put bacon substitute, in this case Italian salami, on a piece of foil and place in toaster oven until it begins to crisp, but watch that it doesn’t burn. Remove to a paper towel.
- Once potatoes are cooked, cut or smash them open and place them skin-side down on the salami foil, using the fat to coat the skins, then flip them so they’re skin-side up. Put in toaster oven until the skins get the texture you like.
- Flip potatoes over, quickly blasting on broil to dry out the flesh, then lower heat and cover with cheddar.
- When the cheese is almost melted, crumble up the salami in the paper towel and sprinkle it over the cheese. Let everything ooze together.
Serve with chives, crème fraîche (sour cream) or diced tomatoes.